>>I've culled a horizontal navigation bar with a drop-down from a couple
of places, and I can't seem to alter the line height in the drop-down,
which is too high in IE.

David,

You can use conditional CSS to adjust the position in IE. Add this CSS
in the head, below your styles and just before you start the javascript:

<!--[if ie]>
#navGrp {                                               /* this is the
containing div for the horizontal nav group */
        position: absolute;
        top: 20%;
        left: 13%;
        width: auto;
}

** Change the "top" to whatever percentage you want. As for mixing
"important" and conditional CSS, I am not exactly sure how to answer
that question. IE will just use all the styles that are defined in the
first block of CSS except for the ones that are overridden by
conditional CSS.

You can of course import an entirely different style sheet for IE. You
create a new style sheet with just the changed styles for IE or just add
the styles to the head - both ways work.

Hope this helps,

Kim