I am having some trouble trying to figure out where some gaps are coming
from.  If you look at the following page in FF/IE/Opera, you'll notice
that there's a gap between each of the letters in the big "THE ARTS"
graphics with the purple background.

http://admiral.its.csulb.edu/cota/index.cfm?fuseaction=cota.home

Also, you will notice that there is a gap below the letters as well when
viewed with IE or FF.  IE, however, decides that it wants to add a gap
on the left, and Opera doesn't show a gap on the bottom.  I have tried
adding padding:0;margin:0; to every relevant style to no avail.

I added the following comment to my stylesheet (cota.css) that controls
that page:

/* THIS IS THE PROBLEM AREA */

to make it easy to find the relevant code.  The container div is called
#acrostic.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!

Thanks,
Mike