Michael Clayton wrote:
> Thanks, I wasn't aware that NN 6.x were betas.  I'll stop fretting now.
> Yesterday I went a bit insane and downloaded 20+ old browsers.  My thinking
> was this, "It will be awesome if I can make my sites work in everything."
> The odds of anyone using an old Netscape are about as good as the odds of my
> head quantum tunneling through my desk as I bang it in frusteration.  But
> there's always a chance.
>
> As for the font sizes, I'm still working off this old ALA article.  It's two
> years old now, though.
>
> http://www.alistapart.com/articles/elastic/
>
> Is pt now preferred over ems?
Points may be preferred for print, but not the screen.
>   I've not stayed in the loop as much as I
> should have.  The advantage I see of ems with a 90~% font size is that the
> text is readable at any IE size, from smallest to largest.  With ems, but
> without 90% font size in place, the actual size change from smallest to
> largest is far too drastic.  Smallest becomes impossibly small, and largest
> is so big that it breaks the layout.
When setting with em's it is best to use percent on the body or html.
Not doing so triggers a bug in IE that causes the font-sizes to go a bit
goofy on + or - zoom.

>   90% font size makes the users' size
> changes significant, but not extreme.  In IE, pt seems to have the same
> problem as px, it cannot be resized by the user.  I would be happy to learn
> a better method, of course.

There are many methods that one may use to set fonts. And there are more
opinions than you can shake a stick at, about which method is best. See
the wiki for methods, and pick the version of poison that best suits
*your users.*.
FWIW, I use something like this:
body { font: 100%/1.2 sans-serif;}
With no font-size declared on the content-text p; and, with individual
selectors targeted with percent font-size, and line-height expressed as
a unit-less raw number,
(please see note below).
> --
> Michael Clayton
> www.twilighted.com
>
> On 3/8/06, Felix Miata <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> almost certainly wrote:
>
> Do your browser stats actually show a material number of people using
>
>> those insecure, buggy, slow, old, beta browser versions? They need a
>> good hard push to upgrading to secure non-beta software. All Netscape
>> 6.x versions are betaware. Security issues alone rule out safely using
>> all Netscapes except the newest 8.whatever, and even that may be a risk,
>> since Netscape isn't too quick to implement the security fixes
>> implemented in Mozilla Project CVS.
>>
>> Different subject: Why don't you want users by default seeing their
>> choices of the font sizes and families that work best for them?
>> http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/SS/michac1.jpg
>> http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/tmp/showcased.html
>> --
>> "Blessed are they whose ways are blameless, who walk according
>> to the law of the Lord."                        Psalm 119:11 NIV
>>
>>   Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
>>
>> Felix Miata  ***  http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/auth/auth

BTW, it's a good idea to write below those you reply to, rather than
above them. This will help preserve the archives, and make it easier for
others to follow a logical thread.
Regards,
~davidLaakso