wow. that'll teach me to leave for a weekend...

thanks, everyone, for looking at this. i'm still going through the
test pages. i wasn't quite clear in my original post, i think. what i
was looking for was:

a 100px (max) left column and an 800px (max) right column where, when
the page is made narrower than 900px causes the left column to
collapse. the right column shouldn't collapse at all.

which actually i think is just the inverse of one of the test pages
put up by georg.

one other test that i was playing with can be seen here, http://
www.ohtogo.com/rightmost-800-in-900.html

this uses a bit of IE trickery to get around min-max issues in IE.
more info can be found here: http://www.svendtofte.com/code/
max_width_in_ie/

any thoughts on this technique? it's not great, in that in IE you
have to refresh before the change to the page is visible.