Terri Chicko wrote:
> I applied everything that I understood. Which was most of it. I
> really appreciate the how to, with the why. I'm trying to get the big
>  picture.

Getting closer :-)

> However I still have 2 issues that I can tell. I removed the html
> background color, and don't know how to replace it with css. So there
>  is a big with strip across the top.

1: remove margins/paddings from body...

body {margin: 0; padding: 0;}

...and I think it'll be ok.

2: you may also add styles to the html element. For instance...

html { background-color: #482c00;}

> Then I have the same issue in Win that the  now unfixed #contact is
> pushing over the #content div to far to the right. I didn't really
> understand your instructions about this. Could you use small words in
> BIG type : )

Hmmm... ok.

Look at my styles again. When this...

* html #content {margin-left: 0/* new */;}

...is placed in your styles after/below the ordinary #content styles, it
will tell IE only to zero out that margin. IE will then adjust to the
actual width of #content, and stop fooling around with two sets of
distances/margins to the left which it seems unable to make up its mind
about.

---

Generally:

There are a lot of unnecessary styles still in there. It is not
necessary to write 'visibility: visible;' unless you have hidden
something with another set of styles earlier. 'visibility: visible;' is
the default for all elements in all browsers.

It is also not necessary to define the same font-family declaration over
and over again for each text-carrying element. If the same is used in
the entire page, then set it once, on body, and you're done.

If you need font variations; set those on the chosen element(s) only.
You can also set such styles on a container, and they will affect all
elements in that container - unless an element in there is given its
own, specific, style.

---

Validator warnings and other issues:

Warnings from the validator are just warnings. The validator can't check
everything, so it is telling you to do so yourself. Make sure such
things as "no background-color..." are not creating problems - for
instance if some visitor turns 'images off' in their browser, and forget
the warning.

BTW: it looks like something _is_ missing if I turn 'images off', as I
can no longer see what the header says. In fact, I can't see a header at
all :-)
You should rethink that point, and provide some kind of headline-text
for such unlikely visitors. That will of course also help a bit if I
should visit that site with Lynx.

The same goes for the empty alt-attribute on images. If those images are
informative, then it would be nice if text-only surfers also could get a
few, informative, words. As short as possible, and as informative as
possible.

You can test your page/site in text-only browsers by visiting...
<http://www.delorie.com/web/lynxview.html>

regards
        Georg
--