Glenn E. Lanier, II wrote:

>[...]
>If you're still reading and not confused, let me try to sum it up:
>http://www.CarpentersForChrist.com/LayerTest/reg.html
>contains valid HTML

... Oho! I was still reading but also confused, while I did check the
html-validator in the meantime.
If this is the proper link, which validator u are using? ;-)
http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.carpentersforchrist.com%2FLayerTest%2Freg.html

<http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.carpentersforchrist.com%2FLayerTest%2Freg.html>
Result: Failed validation, 107 errors > and some IE-only inline style
properties ...

>and the proper layout (submit button above instructions, above processing
>message).
>http://www.CarpentersForChrist.com/LayerTest/reg1.html
>contains essentially the same code,

.... but no IE-only style codes (for this one is valid html) > so maybe
IE is interpreting "essentially the same code" on it's own IE-way.

>but doesn't display correctly (submit button is
>to the left of instructions and processing message).

To get the difference, I should advise to isolate the problem by
commenting out parts of the (overwhelming table-) code you got, see
where the css is going wrong, and correct IE in that place(s).

Greetings,
francky

ps-1: the css-validator can be made happy by replacing the 3
IE_underscore hacks by a conditional comment.
ps-2: beautyful css-hovers instead of the html-absorbing js-hovers
should be some good work too. :-)