I've mostly lurked on this list for more than three years but had this niggling
issue going round in my mind.

As I understand it, best search engine results are obtained by placing content
nearest the top of page code - matching key words in h1, alt, title tags and
first sentence of content is of crucial importance.

Conventional mark-up and layout results in the typical HTML page format of
Header / Columns / Footer format for "natural" page flow.

My question is this: is it more search engine friendly to use a mark-up format
of Columns / Header / Footer and use CSS position:absolute to place Header
above Columns and Footer? If so, what are the pitfalls, if any?

TIA for response.

Mike A.