On Jun 2, 2006, at 9:56 AM, Steve Tyron wrote:

> As much as I enjoy a good laugh, I'm pretty tired of trying to track
> down why my inline UL links (say it with me...) work fine in FF,
> Safari,
> Opera, and Camino, but produce an amusing shell game in MSIE 5.5/Mac.
>
> Shell game? Yes. Visit http://www.floralore.com/ with MSIE and roll
> the
> mouse over the nav links at the top of the page. You should see
> links up
> and down the line flashing like Christmas tree lights as you roll over
> the line. Q: What link are you hovering over? No, wrong!
>
> I should have left things alone, but noooo, I had to "improve"
> stuff. I
> had a perfectly fine set of links (yes, a styled UL inline set) doing
> their job with no showing off. Then I wanted to try the universal
> identifiers of <body id="home"> and <li class="home"> to mark a
> current
> page.I have set the UL LI back color to silver so that you can see
> that
> the mouse over the LI area triggers a hover reaction farther down the
> line. Boo hiss...!

I suppose you mean IE 5.2 Mac. There is no version 5.5.

What you see is known as the phantom-links problem.
<http://www.l-c-n.com/IE5tests/phantom-links/>
In your case, using display:inline-block ought to fix many problems.

And yes, in some cases, some kind of formatting my trigger text-
reflow in other areas.

Philippe
---
Philippe Wittenbergh