I have a css fly out menu. It's a vertical list that's aligned to the right of
my page. As you scroll over each element, content "flies" out to the left. My
problem is that in order to place this menu properly, I have to position it
absolutely and specfiy its placement using padding (I know, I know...long
story).

At any rate, I finally have this thing looking nice in IE and Firefox...only
problem is underlying elements on the left that are flown over, such as links
or form elements are no longer operable. Basically a z-index fiasco. I specify
a higher z-index for the menu and the underlying content can't be clicked (yet
can be seen). If I give a higher z-index to the content page, the menu fly out
is no longer visible.

I had Firefox behaving as I wish simply by specifying the z-index to the one of
the menu's child elements. Alas IE ignored this. Ugh.

My question is this: is there any way to enforce z-index conditionally?

Christian.