> > > Does an element hidden with css load?

> > Yes.

> That may be a "perhaps." If "hiding" means "visibility: hidden" I believe
> you are correct. But if Christy means "display: none" then I do know some
> browsers do not download the image. I don't recall which browsers,
> though. Sorry.

If "element" refers to an element in (X)HTML, it will indeed load and
you'll see it in the rendered source, even if its display is set to
none. CSS doesn't command the existence of an element, merely its
presentation.

But it's an interesting question of whether background images in CSS
are downloaded when the rule also includes a "display:none" property.
I would assume yes, but it would depend on browser implementation and
the order in which the properties are rendered. It might be the case
that if "display:none" comes before "background-image", some browsers
wouldn't request the image file, but I would be surprised and annoyed
by any desktop browser that behaved this way. It would mean
display:none is being interpreted as "stop reading at this point and
continue to the next rule" which is just plain wrong.

--
Craig, www.focalcurve.com