Bruno and Gunlaug solved my problem. Thank you both ever so much. Silly me,
I went over and over that style sheet and never saw that unneccessary quote.

However, I DID attempt to check the style sheet yesterday with Dreamweaver's
validator, and it found "parsing errors" with other bits of code that did
not seem to have anything wrong with them. Is the w3 validator more accurate?

DW site reports also found a lot of errors like "GIFs do not cause the
screen to flicker" and "clarify natural language usage." What is the best
way to find out what these mean and how to fix the errors?

I'm sorry,
I know my code is a mess and needs cleaning up. I'm just a bit intimidated
about where to start. Any advice welcome.

Thank you very much.
Patia