Gwydionmom wrote:

> http://www.d2care.org/draft.php
>
> The first problem is with IE on Windows.  If it can be fixed without
>  messing up anyone else, that would be great, but I can live with it
>  if it's going to scramble the browsers that are working properly.
>  Anyway, on the other browsers I've tested, the top line of the
> content is even with the top of the menu, but in IE, it's dropped
> down a bit.

IE adds line-height to the clearing-br.

Adding...

br.clear {font-size: 1px; line-height: 0.1;}

...will adjust that.

> The second problem might be harder to fix.  Short headings work just
>  fine, but for longer ones, or if the browser window is narrow, they
>  wrap.  When they wrap, the background image repeats on the second
> line, the background color and border overlap the first part of the
>  heading, and the border is missing on the right of the top line and
>  the left of the bottom line.  What I'd ideally like to see happen is
>  that everything would stay in a nice even box with a border all the
>  way around.  I've thought about setting the heading to not wrap,
> which would probably create horizontal scrolling, but I'm not sure
> that is ideal either.

Elements set to 'inline' will behave like you describe, so those
headings should be styled as 'block'. A float is a 'block' and can be
offset by its margins, but you need to clear the element (paragraph)
below the float.

I added in the background since I couldn't find a good reason why IE
shouldn't see it.

Some conflicting styles somewhere in your stylesheets, so I also added a
'hide from IE-mac' hack - making IE/Mac fall back to your original
style. IE/Mac should otherwise be quite happy with floating headlines,
so you should find those conflicts and make it work in IE/Mac too.

.gtitle   {
        display:  inline;
        border:  1px dotted  #006CC5;
        z-index:  5;
        }

/* Hides from IE-mac \*/
.group .gtitle   {
float: left;
margin: -.5em 0 -3px 0;
padding: 7px 40px;
width: auto;
border:  1px dotted  #006CC5;
background:  #B6DCF5 url(bone0000.gif) no-repeat 1% 30%;
        }
/* End hide from IE-mac */

.group p {clear: left; padding-top: 1px; }

Cross-checked in IE6, Opera 7.54 - 9.0, Firefox 1.5, Safari 1.2.4,
IE5.2. Pixel-identical: no, but pretty close :-)

regards
        Georg
--
http://www.gunlaug.no