Joseph Lorenzini wrote:
> [Using] CSS to highlight the navigation of my current [page].
> [ ... ]
> they require the html to have a body id tag. This doesn't work for my
> site since the body is part of an uneditable region in my template.
> In other words, I can only set the id in  the template and that will
> propagate to every page, which would defeat the purpose of the ID tag.

Well, whatever part of the template you do control should be able to
contain a div with the page id in it.  The body is a very convenient tag
for this, since it holds all your visible content, but any tag will do.
  Just follow the technique using an arbitrary div rather than the body.

The second tutorial you listed does not specify the body tag in the CSS,
using code like this:

     #home #nav-home a,
     #about #nav-about a, {
         /* whatever */
     }

If the body had the "home"/"about" link, this would work fine.  But it
will also work if any ancestor of the navigation list has this id.

Good luck,

   -- Scott