Please see my additional questions below (separated by asterisks).  Thanks!!

Message: 18
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 03:39:59 +0200
From: Gunlaug S?rtun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [css-d] need help with placement of boxes in CSS
To: css-d@lists.css-discuss.org

juliann wheeler wrote:

>http://www.juliannwheeler.com/phyve/Phyve_Final/index_final.html

>It looks great in Firefox, but in Internet Explorer many of the boxes
>  are placed in the wrong place.

Looks great :-) but not very usable.
You should try to use those pages in Lynx - especially the front page,
and add all the missing pieces (alt-attributes - with suitable content)
that the W3C (X)HTML validator mentions as "errors".

What is Lynx?  What will that achieve?

>If you clock on "who" on the left nav you can see 4 different pages:

>Each of these pages has a heading above the content in a teal all caps
>font. Even though the placement of this box that holds this type
>  is the same on each of these pages you can see in IE how it jumps around
>and is different on each one of these pages.

Defaults are not identical across browser-land, so you'll have to set
margins and line-height and what-not as you like it to turn out.

It makes sense that defaults are not identical across browserland.  But the
4 different pages mentioned above all have the same layout and same code.
It doesn't make sense, why a SINGLE  browser (ie Internet Explorer alone)
would display each of these pages differently.

>ALSO, my rollovers for the left nav do not work in IE, but they work fine
>in Firefox.

Have a "feeling" that those effects are javascript-driven, so
"off-topic" here on css-d.

regards
        Georg
--