"The easiest way to do this is just to assign the heading a left margin
equal to the width of #navcontainer so that it moves out from underneath
the float. This doesn't appear to be a problem for your page since your
#navcontainer is a fixed and known width."

Reply:

Thank you.  Yes, I knew from troubleshooting that adding a margin
would bump the bg-image out from under the float.  However, since
other <h2>s will need to flow beneath the navigation bar I didn't want
to apply a margin-left to all <h2> elements.  Knowing there is no
alternative I can simply create a class for the first couple <h2>s.

Thanks again,

Todd