On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 13:15:59 +0100
  Designer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> declare:
>
> i   {padding-right : 1em;   }
>
> then use <i>.</i> in the text.  Not brilliant, certainly not semantic,
> but it seems to work. I wanted to avoid a long 'span' and use a simple
> (short) tag.
>
> I doubt that anyone can spot an italicised period. .  :-) !

you could also apply a style to make the period not be italicised too.

Maybe I missed the point, but why not use &nbsp; in this case?

I thought the idea was that the text was being inserted without formatting, and
that the author is
looking for a way to apply two spaces to "as typed" text that otherwise is
having whitespace
compressed.  The first 3 thoughts I had would not work.  I then went to using
unobtrusive
javascript to "fix" the markup after it's delivered to the browser, (assuming
server-side
intervention is not possible) but that is definately not a CSS solution.