Sorry about the slow reply; I haven't been able to get online all weekend.

I fear you've misinterpreted the problem (or I worded the original post
badly, which is more likely :).

The CSS works fine; there is no problem with the page I'm using.
The example I gave previously was the bare minimum markup and CSS to
recreate this rendering bug (I'm calling it a bug, for simplicity's sake).

The last <option> tag on the page contains only asterisks, and you can
see in the screen shot (and hopefully the example, in IE) that these
asterisks are rendered *outside* of the select box, in addition to being
rendered correctly inside it.  Furthermore, interacting with these extra
asterisks has the same consequences as interacting with the <option> tag
itself, proving that the two are one and the same element.

I was just curious to know if this issue (drop down contents appearing
elsewhere on the page in IE) has been raised before, and if not, to
point it out.

So, has anybody seen this bug 'in the wild'?
I need to know or it'll be irritating me all week ;)

Cheers,
Rob