Thank you very much for the detailed reply Georg. I will go through them and
see what happens and try to understand it all, thanks again

Gunlaug Sørtun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:  ed gooddy wrote:
> http://www.villa-corti.com/menus.htm
>

> The image divs are all in the right place but the navigation bars I
> can´t seem to move. tabsH and navbar are the ones I want to move and
> they are in the navshadow div which presently doen´t have a style.
> All the divs hare position relative; and float left;

> How can I move the navbars up?

The quick, and working, answer is:
add...

#tabsH {margin-top: -30px;}

...or any suitable, negative, value.

However, the result of such a move doesn't appear right in any browser,
so I don't think that is what you want. Correct me if I'm wrong.

---

Problems, as I see them:

1: you're mixing XHTML and HTML syntax, which is what causes most
validation errors...

...so you should decide which standard you want to use and write your
source-code accordingly. Won't change much in browsers, but it sure will
make further work on your layout a lot easier.

2: IE6 is auto-expanding the divs containing images - a bug, so the
navbars are pushed too low in that browser.

Solution:

add...

#navimagel img,#navimager img {
margin-bottom: -100px;
position: relative;
}

...to pull up the images' bottom while keeping them visible, so IE6
doesn't have anything to expand on. Only then can you start adjusting
where 'tabsH' and 'navbar' should stay, in a cross-browser stable way.

---

It is pretty unclear to me what you want here, as elements will overlap
each other if you move 'tabsH' and 'navbar' upwards. There's overlapping
now if any degree of font-resizing is applied, and font-resizing can't
be prevented.

regards
Georg
--