Ian Young wrote:

>> Have a look at http://03.infocopa.com/apropos/vision.html .
>>
>> I've given 100% min-height (height for IE) to html and body.
>> (body has the
>> off-white background-color.) Unfortunately, on short pages like
>> this, if the
>> content is shorter than the window, the body won't extend all the
>> way to the
>> bottom. The problem shows up on Firefix and IE7, but not IE6.

> A few things strike me here.
>
> Don't need the html section
> Put the font-size and height in the body as 100%.
> Why put min height in the body?
>
> Add a height definition in the main-wrapper.  After all this is what
> you want to be 100% in height, huh? The body will always be 100% -
> think about it!
> The wrapper can shrink or expand dependent on content .

I used the code found in our very own CSS-Discuss Wiki:
http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=HundredPercentHeight . It's quite
educational. In Firefox, this is the only combination that seems to work:

    html, body {height: 100%}
    #wrapper-main {min-height: 100%} /* height: 100% works also */

OK, with your suggestions, I have:

    html {
        font-size : 100%; /* Unrelated to this problem */
    }

    body {
        width : 80%;
        display : table;
        margin : 0 auto;
        font-size: 0.8125em; /* Unrelated to this problem */
        line-height : 133%; /* Unrelated to this problem */
    }

    #wrapper-main {
        height: 100%;
        position: relative; /* Unrelated to this problem */
        padding : 30px; /* Unrelated to this problem */
    }

The problem remains: #wrapper-main doesn't reach the bottom of the window.
In a sample window, Firefox's DOM Inspector's Computed Styles shows:

    html = 388px tall
    body = 388px tall
    wrapper-main = 327.2 px tall, even with its height: 100%. ("CSS Style
Rules" confirms that "height: 100%" is active.)

Any further suggestions?

> No need to have wrapper-main positioned relative.

Actually, yes: I was gearing up for the next bit of polish -- always having
the footer at the bottom of the page, even if content was shorter than the
window. (Again, CSS-Discuss Wiki -
http://www.themaninblue.com/writing/perspective/2005/08/29/ is the first
suggestion in the "HundredPercentHeight" page) (And yes, I know I would've
had to move the #footer div outside #wrapper-main to do so. Note the future
tense.)

> I would tend to write something like:
> #wrapper-main{
> width:
> min-height:550px;
> height:auto !important;
> margin:0 auto;
> }
> which will work for IE6 and the better browsers.

I'm hoping for a pixel-free solution, to work at all browser sizes. 550px is
still too little for #wrapper-main to cover the entire height of the window
on my screen.

> This is nice site - but need to get the basics right.

Thanks for the compliment.

Charles