>>Is anyone using conditional statements in their CSS?<<

I use conditional comments all the time.  This is an older article, i
think - I remember reading it before - but this is the method I use when
I use CC's.  I have no problem whatsoever with them.

As for "what the known support" is - anything above IE5 on PC.  IE5 for
Mac doesn't see them.

Now, I also noticed you said "*IN the CSS" - are you placing the
conditional comment within your CSS file?  Because that would be the
problem - the CC goes in the head of your document, below any other
calls to other stylesheets - best place to put it is right before the
closing </head> tag.  (If you put it *before* the original stylesheet
calls, then the CC won't override the other stuff - it has to be after)

~Shelly