Linden A. Mueller wrote:
> I haven't had a chance to look at your suggestions, but I am
> unfamiliar with 'hasLayout'[1]" It looks like JavaScript to me... is
> it a CSS rule?

It is "MSIE internal behavior" - how IE/win reacts to certain CSS
'property: value' pairs. In fact: it's a bug - present in all IE/win
versions to some degree, and you'll have to deal with it whether you
like it or not.

The hardest thing is "how do we turn it off", and the answer is quite
often that "we can't turn it off without breaking the design".

The article[1] describes what it's all about.

> Same with "zoom"--is it CSS 3? I don't see it in any CSS2
> references...

It is not a W3C CSS-standard property. It is a Microsoft CSS property,
since IE5.5. As such it can be applied without disturbing any other
browser, which makes it useful as a 'hasLayout'[1] trigger, but you
won't get a "valid button" if the W3C CSS validator sees it.

To be clear here: all browsers have some CSS 'property: value' sets that
are not in the regular W3C CSS standards, or are pre-trials of what may
end up in a future CSS standard.
IE/win only has a lot more proprietary 'property: value' sets and other
additions than any other browser, and we make use of those in order to
work around IE/win's lack of real standard-support.

> Molly seems to know what she's talking about! :)

Indeed!
(She had a good teacher - or maybe it was the other way around  ;-) )

regards
        Georg

--
http://www.gunlaug.no