THOMAS ROGERS wrote:

>[...]
>I think my biggest enemy is the style sheet I have in place. I copied it
>from another larger site that I manage, that has more bells and whistles.  I
>think I may hack it down to the bare bones and then try the suckerfish menu
>again.   The latest one I found that looks nice and easy to set up is at
>http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/navigation/auto_hide/index.htm
>
>Projectseven has a drop down menu tool for sale which makes use of an
>unordered list.  They claim it will be standards compliant.  All their tools
>are add-ons for Dreamweaver 8, Unfortunately I use Frontpage 2003, but
>lately have wondered if I should make the switch.
>
>Can you or any other readers recommend a good dropdown menu tool that won't
>bust the bank, but will deliver an accessible menu?
>
>Thanks again,
>
>Tom Rogers

Well,
I cannot recommend a good dd menu tool, for usually I need 3 tools:

   1. A good example, like the p7 you mentioned, or the original:
      http://www.htmldog.com/articles/suckerfish/dropdowns/example/bones3.html
   2. Notepad.
   3. Time to arrange css just as I want it. ;-)

To see the market, I just Googled for "css dropdown menu tool", and
tried the first hit "Open Cube". Promises (css only, or with javascript
only as support for IE; just like Suckerfish) are exellent! - Then
downloaded a trial of their Infinite-Menu's:

    * http://www.opencube.com/imenus.asp

In the first screen I would like to change the (fixed) font-size to
em's. Hmmm, impossible. Next!

So maybe it is more time/money and headaches to find, evaluate and/or
adapt a tool solution than to spend some time and headaches to style an
already working menu by hand...[1]
But I can be wrong, and maybe somebody can recommend the p7 tool or
another as a good one.

Success!
francky

[1]
I had similar experience in order to get a good working "rounded corner"
tool/solution some years ago. Googled and tried dozens of links, not
what I expected (didn't know the css-list and css-Wiki at that time). In
the end, I decided not to spend more time on searching the web hoping to
get better results, but to develop my own solution. Some experiments,
and a quite universal "liquid round corners" solution was born...