On 12/24/06, francky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> H(o)i Jeroen,
> While the question is answered yet, I've some other css philosophical
> remarks.
> Translating a painted design (illustration) to css has it's pitfalls,
> because paper and screen are 2 ways of thinking!
>
>     * See: 'The Graphical Designer and the CSS Zen Guru' story
>       <http://home.tiscali.nl/developerscorner/guru-1.htm>
>
> In your case, there is a fixed area for the content part by means of the
> background image <http://www.home.intellit.nl/np/test/background.jpg>.
> No way to escape from this area! - This will have disadvantages for the
> greater screen resolutions (and/or for browser sidebars turned on/off).
> If the visitor has a 800x600px resolution, the content is about 60% of
> the available screen.
> If the visitor is viewing the page with a 1280x1024px monitor, the used
> 'message part' of the screen is only ... 16%.
>
>     * See annotated screenshot 1280x1024
>
> <http://home.tiscali.nl/developerscorner/css-discuss/images/screenshot-intellit.png>
>
> So I should strongly advise to start with a more flexible model, letting
> the screen of the visitor determine the width and/or height.
> This will invoke new questions to solve! For instance:
>
>     * Q: what to do with the background?
>       A: I should make a background without the "transparent part" in
>       it, and make it seamless repeatable. Then at large reso's there is
>       no white around. Compressing the jpg can save 52 of the 66kB's,
>       which is downloaded 4.5 times faster: example of 14kB
>
> <http://home.tiscali.nl/developerscorner/css-discuss/images/intellit-background-new.jpg>
>     * Q: how to make the top bar 'playing now:' flexible and extending /
>       shrinking if needed?
>       A: this can be done with a Sliding Doors technique, for instance
>       the method of Liquid Round Corners
>
> <http://home.tiscali.nl/developerscorner/liquidcorners/liquidcorners.htm>
>       The same image can be used for the left and right part: recycled
>       by css! See new top bar
>
> <http://home.tiscali.nl/developerscorner/css-discuss/images/nowplaying_xbmc-new.gif>
>
>     * Q: how to get transparency in the content part?
>       A: I see 2 ways: (1) using a small semitransparent white png image
>       as background image; then there has to be added the rather bits
>       eating "IE png hack"; example: test page
>
> <http://home.tiscali.nl/developerscorner/transparency/png-gradient-proefje.htm>.
>       Or (2) using the css3-property "opacity", which is supported
>       already by almost all modern browsers. Exception is ... IE, but IE
>       can be made happy by using an IE-only filter. - old IE5.0 and
>       Konqueror are degrading to a white background.
>       If you want the content part to have rounded corners, the same (1)
>       or (2) has to be applied to them. The top and bottom parted can be
>       glued as well in one image
>
> <http://home.tiscali.nl/developerscorner/css-discuss/images/corners-intellit2000x10.gif>
>     * Q: how to get the sidebar scrollable too?
> [...]

Hi Francky,

Thanks a lot for your insight. It  was very interesting to read your
CSS Zen Guru article (nicely written ;)) although this design does
actually what it should do, because the content area is actually more
then big enough for the content that will be placed there (I.e.
year/genre/link to lyrics etc). When i would use your scaled layout,
my opinion is, ithere will be too much room for this little content.
But i definitely learned from your comments, thanks!

I use actually a resolution of 1680x1050, and it was designed for
1024x768 and up. But still i agree, when using a large resolution
normally the empty space would be a waste, but in this case is as
designed.

About the JPG compression, true, i could do a bit more. I think around
40kb would still have a reasonable quality.

Thanks again, and happy holidays!

--
Jeroen