Kevin J Pledger wrote:

> After looking at various pages and trying to understand the different types
> of coding, I put in this line ( background : url(images/mt2.jpg) #fff; ) and
> as I thought it wasnt visible. When the #fff is removed the image appears,
> but breaks the page. I want to be able to retain the white background as the
> banner covers the width of the page, so the image will have to be centered.

I think this is the correct structure background: #fff
url(images/mt2.jpg) no-repeat top left;
The #fff is the background color
If you don't place the "no-repeat" then the img will repeat in both
axes. You can also use repeat-x or repeat-y if you want it to repeat in
an axis.
Top (you can also use "bottom" or "middle") left (or right) is for the
placement of the image.
You can use pixels instead of words: background: #fff
url(images/mt2.jpg) no-repeat 50px 10px;
In this case will place the image 50px from the left of the container
and 10px from the top.