david wrote:
> Another thing to consider: a percentage by itself is meaningless. It
> must always be a percentage of something. Now if you swallow the bilge
> that many so-called monitoring sites report as percentages, you need to
> turn that into real numbers. If Konqueror has a "share" of 1%, and your
> target is the US, then you're talking about roughly 3 million potential
> visitors. That seems like a lot of potential customers to me!

Everybody is a 'potential customer' in the most forgiving of theories,
David, but I'd be incredibly surprised if everyone in the US visited
your website.

The 'bilge' reported as percentages is still percentages... It is still
as a fraction compared to the whole that you determine whether a
demographic is a minority or not. 3 million potential customers are
still a minority if you're talking about the population of the US. In
the grand scheme of things, it's _still_ insignificant.

 > So you don't want to "pollute" your HTML with IE's well-supported
 > conditional comments, but you're willing to pollute your CSS with some
 > newly-found hack instead? Seems unwise to me - CC are well documented
 > and well supported by IE, while the IE-specific CSS interpretation
 > that a hack depends on might go away in any future IE bug fix ...

IE bug fixes of this nature have no historical precedent. That's not
saying your statement is incorrect - the possibility is conceivable -
but I'm still confident. I never tire of this childish optimism when I
suggest that, if Microsoft were to periodically update their browser,
they might focus on actually improving it before they get to the
all-important task of stripping it of support for the hacks that were
allowing things to display right in the first place. Contrary to popular
belief, it is not Microsoft's primary goal to have everything render
like sh!t on their software!

Regards,
Barney