Thierry Koblentz wrote:
> Gunlaug Sørtun wrote:
>> Guess I shouldn't say this, but, FWIW: It is good to have options
>> and know how they work an/or how to make them work. However, I
>> don't see much point in switching hacking-strategy if one has a
>> working and well-tested method in place.

> For layout, I used to have a "working and well-tested method in
> place", but I'm glad I tried something else :)

Got your point. I did the same, but before I switched I looked at the
evolution of layout-methods. Then I went for one that at least had the
potential to grow - not one that was doomed to become obsolete :-)

Browser-hacking as such will probably never become obsolete. However,
the "art" of hacking is neither progressive nor reliable, so a suitable
*warning* should follow all bug based options.

The IE-bug that makes the '@import hack' work, also prevents proper use
of attributes on a standardized property. This means it put limitations
on future use of same property, and will continue to do so for as long
as our support for those same buggers is a necessary part of web design.

So, we may as well exploit the bug in the mean time, but by doing so we
may also help to _preserve_ the bug - and may never get rid of it. Not
much progression in that.

regards
        Georg
--