I'm not sure if this will actually fix your problem, but I think you
intended to place your text-align: center declaration on the body, not on
the container. (That is, I think you intend to use this to correctly center
your layout for IE 5. If that's the case, put it on the body element
instead.) That *might* fix your problem.

Also not a direct answer, but I notice that in FF, the black 1px border on
your h1 overlaps your body background image by one pixel on each side.
Wouldn't it be easier to shrink the image by two pixels, and bring your
border inside the body background image? I've found that overlapping like
this makes things unnecessarily complicated - and might also be contributing
to this problem you're seeing in IE.

Let us know if that helps.

Matt