Robyn,

I guess you can go one of two ways:

Create two unordered lists and float them next to each other calling the
one red and the other yellow:
<ul id="red-nav">
<li></li>
<li></li>
</ul>
<ul id="yellow-nav">
<li></li>
<li></li>
</ul>

#red-nav, #red-nav ul {
    position:relative;
    float:left;
}
#yellow-nav, #yellow-nav ul {
    position:relative;
    float:left;
}

or, use a class on the li's you want a different color, for example:

<ul>
<li class="red"></li>
<li class="red"></li>
<li class="yellow"></li>
<li class="yellow"></li>
</ul>

This has not been tested so I may be off here, but it makes sense.

HTH