I ran across an odd IE7 bug and spent some time trying to figure it out.
I thought I'd share and ask if anyone has seen or heard anything like
this?

Here's a demo page I put together for view in IE7:
http://webhost.bridgew.edu/etribou/layouts/rmenu/bug.html

CSS-based dropdown menus. The first menu is how things originally
performed. No real problems.

In the second menu I specifically set the background color of LI
elements to a gray color. That's it (CSS is embedded, view source to
check it out). Now the menus pop BEHIND LI elements that are not their
parent. Just by setting a background color?! What's even more odd is
that the blue background in menu 1 is set on the LI elements too. The
only difference is that the selector used to target menu 2 is a little
more specific so it takes priority. Very odd behavoir, and not the first
time I've seen something like this related to background colors in IE7.
Does anyone know anything about this? Ever hear about anything like
this?

What I found out is the problem seems to stem from having
posotion:absolute set on all the submenu ULs.  I removed that rule and
put it with the li:hover > ul selector so that absolute positioning was
applied only when the menu pops. Now I can set the background color on
the LI however I want and it doesn't pop behind other Lis.

In menu #4 I set min-width:0 on all ULs to force hasLayout and the menu
doesn't break. So it would seem this is not (directly) related to
hasLayout.

Any information or insight you have into this bug would be great.
There's got to be a more root cause to this bug than just positioning.

Thanks

--
Eric Tribou