Diane Ross wrote:
> I use  #page_links and .footerbar for links. The problem shows on this page
> <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/>
>
> but
>
> show OK on this page (and other pages on the site that use the same divs)
> <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/exchange/index.html>
>
> The Problem:
> ------------------------------------
> In Opera and FireFox on the Mac, I'm seeing two separator lines after the
> first link.
>
> IE 5.2 on the Mac shows the separator lines inside the link or way to one
> side in both #page_links and #footer. There are other problems with IE Mac
> that I'll address in a separate subject.
>
> Safari Mac and OmniWeb Mac are OK for both page links and footer links.
>
> On the PC side there is no problem with the separator lines for IE 6. I'm
> seeing space after the first link "Search A-Z Index". I'm guessing this is a
> padding issue. I haven't been able to test in other PC browsers yet. Have
> been downloading Opera and Firefox and the rate they are going it's going to
> be hours just to download. Running VPC isn't what you would call swift.
>
> My first thought was to check for some extraneous code but there is none
> that I see. I don't understand why it works on other pages and not the home
> page. I can see that IE Mac would be problematic but for other browser to
> have a problem with just this one page is confusing.

Hi Diane,
In FF2 under WinXP: I see the double separator lines at #page_links in
the index page, in IE6 indeed an extra space instead.
But ... you ordered it by typo on the home page. ;-)
In the index page the html-validators (w3c and html-Tidy) are so
friendly to tell us that the first <li> in the #page_links is closing
with another <li> instead of a </li>. The different error handling of
browsers is giving different shows. The one browser is completing to the
prescribed </li>´s for XHTML, so adding an extra separator, the other
browser is doing nothing but adding a space.
> [...]
> HTML
> ---------------------------------------

>     <ul class="linksbar">
>         <li class="first">
>         <li> <<<--- here he is!  :-)
>         <li>
>         </li>
> [...]
I don´t have an IE5/mac, so no idea why that is happening. Maybe you can
hard code a separator `letter` | in the html instead of a border line in
css, to avoid strange effects?

Greetings,
francky