On 2/19/07, Gunlaug Sørtun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Beth Lee wrote:
>
> > What would be a more suitable doctype? A link to a good explanation
> > would be helpful. (This is a web certification project, and the
> > course instructs us to use this doctype, so I'm not sure I can change
> >  it on this website, but I'd like to know the pros and cons for the
> > future, or maybe for arguing with the instructors :) .)
>
> You have standardized cards on your hand :-)
>
> Thus, 'XHTML 1.0 Strict' _might be_ a more suitable doctype, since we
> *MAY* serve 'XHTML 1.0' as 'text/html' so all browsers understand it.
> If your instructors also insists that all projects shall be rendered by
> Internet Explorer, then 'HTML 4.01' Strict is an even better choice
> since 'HTML 4.01' *SHOULD* always be served as 'text/html'.

Thanks, Georg, for pointing me in the right direction. I've chosen
XHTML 1.0Strict, which immediately solved a couple of problems in IE6.
(When I
e-mailed the instructor, he recommended XHTML 1.0 Strict serving text, even
though the documentation in the online course instructs us to serve xml to
XHTML 1.1. They need to update their documentation.) And now, thanks to you
and the various articles I've read on the Internet about the subject, I have
a better idea about doctypes and the serving of those doctypes.

I figured out how to get the 3 boxes centered in IE5 -- by adding a
"text-align: center" rule to the wrapping div. So that's fixed.

And then I figured out how to get the vertical lines (side borders) of the
navigation bar to work in IE5 by adding "height: 0;" -- this information
from a css-discuss archived conversation. But there's extra space below the
vertical lines now within the navigation bar, in IE5 only. Any ideas on how
to fix this -- it's the broken box model again, right? -- or even *whether*
to fix this? How pernickety to be about styling in older browers?

Beth