[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Yes, it's a table, but I didn't want to make a 3rd column for
> directions. Since the inputs are of various widths, the 2nd column
> would be as wide as the widest field, and therefore the directions
> would usually be off to the side rather than right next to the input
> field.

> Then, since these different sizes are in characters, not pixels or
> ems or anything helpful, how would I know how what width to set?

If you have, or create, a real (table-less) example - to save me from
having to create one, then I can probably help you making it work as
intended.

I think one of the 'next to floats' solutions found here...
<http://www.gunlaug.no/contents/wd_example_01.html>
...will do the trick. They don't depend on known dimensions. Needs
testing for your case though.

So, a link to a page, please.

regards
        Georg