I use a list within div.features to display featured links. To make it
easier to read, the background color of alternate list items is a
different shade (these colors vary depending upon the color of the page
wrapper - e.g. containAbt - but that's irrelevant to this post).

This method works in most browsers including MSIE 7 & 5, but MSIE 6 and
5.5 completely ignore the list item background-color(s). See
http://browsershots.org/screenshots/d9ed6fa974ff8ea1ce1b47ab530ddc5d/

Any suggestions on getting IE 5.5 & 6 to color the list items (even if I
abandon the alternating scheme for those browsers)?

The relevant CSS (rules without color info omitted for clarity):

#containAbt .features {
  background-color: #e4a849;
}
.features {
    border: 2px solid #540b13;
    background-color: #e4a849;
    width: 80%;
    text-align: center;
}
.features li {
    list-style-image: none;
    list-style-type: none;
    border: 1px solid #540b13;
    color: #333;
    padding: 1px 2%; /* all hail Gunlaug! */
    margin: 2px 0;
}

  /* use container wrapper colors for 1st, 3rd, 5th, etc li's */
#containAbt .features li, #containAbt .features li+li+li, #containAbt
.features li+li+li+li+li, #containAbt .features li+li+li+li+li+li+li,
#containAbt .features li+li+li+li+li+li+li+li+li {
  background-color: #F7EFD5;
}
  /* use darker shades for remaining li's */
#containAbt .features li+li, #containAbt .features li+li+li+li,
#containAbt .features li+li+li+li+li+li, #containAbt .features
li+li+li+li+li+li+li+li{
    background-color: #ebdab3;

Thanks in advance!
David