At 11:34 +0000 23/3/07, Barney Carroll wrote:
>Wow! I've been under the false supposition that IE7 did not 'believe' in
>the nameless super-html object.
>
>How is it, then, that this works while the simple '* html' selector does
>not?

Because while Microsoft fixed * html they introduced another parsing bug :)

Actually you don't need the :first-child since *+html shouldn't
select anything and doesn't in other modern browsers. It's just IE7
that does it.

The only drawback is that if you want to target both IE7 and IE6 et
al, you need to have a double declaration

    * html { ... }
    *+html { ... }

At 10:50 +0000 23/3/07, Chris Ovenden wrote:
>.clearing { display:none } /* IE 6 & 7 */
>*|html .clearing { display:block } /* everything else */

I think this is the first sighting of this beast in the wild

    http://frontend.blogsome.com/2007/01/23/the-flispide-of-star-html/

Of course that's invalid in CSS2.1

It is valid CSS3 as far as I can tell...

    http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-namespace/#css-qnames

... but the W3 vaildator claims that it's not which looks like a bug
in the validator to me. Of course, trying to explain that to some
clients may be tricky.

Moreover, you're also going to be targeting older browsers that don't
understand the namespace selector either which may or may not be the
result you're after.

And if we look at the list's very own wiki we find a page dedicated
to IE7 which details even more ways to hack around IE7 including
fuzzy specificity

    http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=IE7

So, the choice is yours. Obviously though the best solution is to try
and remove the need for the hacks in the first place.

For my own part I've been bumping into serious miscalculations of
both em and percentage sized widths that all other browsers including
IE6 and its oldr siblings handle just fine, but which IE7 gets
hilariously and mysteriously wrong. This is though in pretty complex
layouts and as yet I haven't had the time to roll up my sleeves and
create reduced test cases to see just what is causing these
miscalculations...