Michael Geary wrote:
> > From: Chris Ovenden
> > I think it's disingenuous to call conditional comments
> > "clean, basic HTML". We all want to do beautiful,
> > cross-platform, futureproof page layouts using semantic,
> > accessible markup; unfortunately user agents are currently
> > not quite up to the job (and, much as I love it, I have to
> > include Firefox in this). So we hack; or, less pejoratively, we
> > work around known issues with the user agents we're given
> > - counting our blessings that we live in 2007 and not 1997.
> > Whether we hack the CSS, the HTML or a bit of both is a
> > matter of personal choice (personally I'm with Barney on
> > this) - but call it what it is and don't try to pretend to purity.
>
> Very insightful!
>
> At first I was taken aback by the word "disingenuous", until I realized you
> probably didn't mean its usual connotation of cynical, calculating, and
> insincere. :-)
>
> It's not surprising that I'd be confused by a word where Dictionary.com
> complains: "The meaning of disingenuous has been shifting about lately, as
> if people were unsure of its proper meaning..."
>
> http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=disingenuous
>
> -Mike (not the language police, just want to make sure no one takes offense
> at something you didn't intend)

Very interesting! I stand corrected in my use of the word, as I didn't
mean to imply that david's description of conditional comments was
either calcuating, naive or lacking in candour. Lacking in depth or
clarity, perhaps; overly-optimistic maybe. Can we just go with
"inaccurate"? ;-)

--
Chris Ovenden

http://thepeer.blogspot.com
"Imagine all the people / Sharing all the world"