On 3/23/07, Gunlaug Sørtun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Richard Grevers wrote:
> > We are getting random float drops on the newly redesigned
> > http://www.freeparking.co.nz/hosting/
>
> Depends on what full width (100%) is in pixels. What you have now should
> be more than enough, but you're using the wrong tactic at the moment,
> and there are a few potential/real problems with wide elements in that page.
>
> If you use 'float:left' on the left column and 'float:right' on the
> right column, you won't need - or even want - a 'margin-right: 3%' on
> the left column at all.

Thanks Gunlaug - in the past, I had shied away from opposing floats,
but that was because of haslayout problems, which should now be under
control on this site.

> The google image is too wide for its container. Same in all browsers on
> narrow windows, but IE6 has narrow window all the time and can't handle
> overflow, so the container becomes too wide and subsequently breaks the
> column-width and causes float-drop.
> Solution: make the image narrower by cutting off white area, and center it.

yes, I dealt to that on Friday morning before your reply, but we have
a "no changes on Fridays" policy for the production site.

Do Mac users have any problems with the updated page?

--
Richard Grevers, New Plymouth, New Zealand
Hat 1: Development Engineer, Webfarm Ltd.