I use the following and all browsers seem to render font sizes to what would
usually be a 13px height:

body    {
  font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
  font-size:82%;
}

Only IE5.x screws up rendering text in tables cells so I add the rule:

table {
  font-size:100%; /* Needed for IE5.x */
}

I then use either % or em for inividual rules (which ever suits my purpose).
For example font-size:85% will always generate a font size of 11px in all
browsers. Since I use the same CSS I never have to experiment with different
values to get different text sizes.

Kieron McIntyre