Zoe,

the problem seems to be related to #project-areas and #latest-news.
Remove those two blocks and the problem goes away. As do the two
blocks. Of the two blocks it's #project-areas which is doing the most
damage. Try setting #project-areas p and #project-areas ul to
display: none to see what I mean.

I guess this is to do with fact that Safari somehow remembers the
height of the body element based on the dimensions of the elements
present at load time. I've seen this kind of thing happen when
removing elements with javascript and the same sort of thing seems to
be happening because of the absolutely positioned elements. I hadn't
seen this exact behaviour of yours before, but it certainly looks
like Safari is hanging on to its notion of where #footer "starts
out"...

The good news is that the nightly builds of WebKit do not display
this behaviour.

The way I work around this sort of thing at the moment is to target Safari

    http://tanreisoftware.com/blog/?p=39#safari

so that the offending blocks are hidden and add a class onload so
that they get shown again. Not pretty, but the best I've been able to
come up with so far

   http://www.fu2k.org/alex/css/cssjunk/hsrc

html[xmlns*=""] body:last-child #project-areas, html[xmlns*=""]
body:last-child #latest-news { display: none; }
html[xmlns*=""] body.enabled:last-child #project-areas,
html[xmlns*=""] body.enabled:last-child #latest-news { display: block;
<<<

Alternatively, put the button links inside a div (or similar) and
position those. Safari doesn't seem to get things quite so badly
wrong then.