This can "broken" the contrast the same way as:
#008083 provides a good contrast over #fff
and
#099 (slightly different from #008083) doesn't provide sufficient contrast.

In my opinion, if I'm not missing something, the main point is #008083 (or
other valid number color) is the same in all browsers and gray (or one of
the 17 valid colors keywords on the Specs) isn't the same across browsers.

Number color CSS value is consistent across browsers and colour values
isn't.

Regards,

MaurĂ­cio Samy Silva
http://www.maujor.com/