Gunlaug Sørtun wrote:
> Robert Ginn wrote:
>> http://www.sitkamusicfestival.org/4-index.html
>
>> http://www.sitkamusicfestival.org/1_css_update.css
>
>> In my original page, I found that the extra padding that Firefox
>> inserted at the top was actually inside the table which contained the
>>  logo and header text (I learned this by enclosing the table in a
>> border).
>
> Only thing is: it isn't a padding but the default margin-top on
> paragraphs. It is important to keep track of "where such spaces comes
> from", as the rules for handling paddings are different from those for
> handling margins. For instance, see 'collapsing margins'[1].
>
>> Finally I was able to manufacture a header without using a table and
>> the problem disappeared.
>
> Your header construction is not really valid - yet, as images can not
> have body as the only container in "Strict". The logo-image has to go
> inside header itself, or be given some other container.
>
> Also, IDs are used more than once, which isn't allowed either.
> See:
> <http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sitkamusicfestival.org%2F4-index.html&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&ss=1&verbose=1>
>

> ...for details.
>
> Other than that it's quite alright.
>
> regards
>     Georg
>
> [1]http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/box.html#collapsing-margins

Thanks again, Georg.  I knew you couldn't duplicate ID's, but thought
the preceding tag (such as p#header and div#header) gave it a different
name.  I know better now, and have distinct ID's.  Also, the logo is in
a <div> now.  Thank you.

I've been working in XHTML Strict, mostly for experience, but it doesn't
like the <hr> tag, at least the "noshade" attribute.  I'd like this page
to work in Strict, but am stuck on the noshade problem.  Without it, the
hr's look strange---and without any hr's at all, half my design skills
would be gone.  Is there a CSS element similar to the hr, or should I
make this a Transitional page?

I'll need to read the reference on padding and margins several times
before it seeps in.

I appreciate the help very much.

Bob