Hi,

I have a "simple" problem that I try to solve now for almost 3 weeks (not 8
hours a day but
long enough)
Simple, because it is solves within 5 minutes when using tables, but it seems
to be impossible
to do it table free. Please proof me wrong. :-)

The page consists of two columns. The left column should contain a menu and has
a fixed width.
the right column contains a table with data from a database. The user can
choose, which information
of the database he wants to see. So it is obvious that the table (ans thus the
right column) has a
variable width.

Everything works fine until the outer div reaches the right edge of the browser
window. Then the
right column will be placed beneath the menu instead of right from it.

This is my code so far (stripped to a minimum):

float:left;">
    That's the way it looks<br>
    impossible without tables?
margin:2px; float:left;">

You can see the test page here (shrink your browser windows to see the effect)
http://paul-sommer.de/test/tablefree.html

This example also contains a tabled layout to show the intended behaviour.
The table also shows the wanted colouring which also seems impossible with DIVs.
I wonder why people are encouraged not to use tables when the alternative
solution is that painful
and time consuming (not to speak at all about the browser incompatibilities)

Please help me, as I'm totally frustrated and considering giving up table free
layout.

Thanks in advance Paul