On Fri, 25 May 2007, Joanne wrote:

> I have an ordered list, and I want to style the numbers differently to the
> text. Is this possible?
>
> Ie: I want the numbers large and blue, and the text to be small and black.

I'm afraid there is no direct way to achieve that, since the numbers are
effectively treated as anonymous parts of <li> elements, as far as styling
is considered.

However, this implies that you can circumvent the restriction by adding
extra markup for <li> contents. For example, if you write

instead of the natural <li>list item contents</li>, you can set e.g.

li { font-size: large; color: blue; blackground: white; }
.li { font-size: medium; color: black; blackground: white; }

That is, the properties that you want for the numbers are assigned to the
<li> elements but overridden for the element that contains the list item
proper. Note: if you set the font-sizes using % or em, remember the
cumulative effect. For example, if you set font-size: 150% for li, you
need to set font-size: 66.67% for .li in order to make the list item
content appear in normal (medium) font size.