CSS-d,

This is something that I thought was fairly simple, but I can't for the
life of me determine how to do it.

On the following page, I have a menu that is made up of <li> elements in
a vertical flow.
http://nihongode.jp

The vertical flow of text was acheived by cheating a little. Each <li>
is only 1em wide, forcing each character to appear below the one before.

All I want to achieve is to have the menu be only as wide and high as it
takes to fit the menu items.

The height is working fine. I established a min-height of about 160px.
Any less than that and the image of the sumo-cherub gets clipped. If
there's more text in any one menu item, then the bottom border gets
pushed down, with a 7px padding.

But the width is nowhere near as easy. Setting a minimum width makes the
menu expand across almost the entire page. Setting a fixed width doesn't
have any connection to the number of menu items, so it won't expand or
contract to contain them.

I tried setting the width to an size based on em, hoping that would
cause it to expand proportionally if the text size was adjusted up or
down. But, although it does scale with the text, it doesn't do in the
right proportions, causing the text to move out of alignment with the
graphic.

I have a feeling I've missed something similar.

How can I have the yellow box of the menu match the width of the textual
menu inside, as determined by the number and size of the menu items?

Thank you for any advice.

--
Dave M G
CSSed