On Tue, 10 Jul 2007, Bruno Fassino wrote:

> IE6 tends to ignore rules of the type:
> a:hover descendant { ... }
> unless there is some (particular) property at
> a:hover { ... }
> different from the not-hovered value. Apparently IE judge #fff
> different from white for this "purpose".

That's rather astonishing, but it means that the heart of the matter was
specifying the color _differently_ from the notation used in another
declaration. If the first rule had #fff, then white would be "right" in
the second.

If I had to rely on such oddities, I'd feel safer by using a color that
is _really_ different, though not much different to the human eye, such as
#fefefe (or #fffffe) vs. #fff.