Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> If I had to rely on such oddities, I'd feel safer by using a color that
> is _really_ different, though not much different to the human eye, such as
> #fefefe (or #fffffe) vs. #fff.

There is no reason to alter the personal usage of white, #fff, #ffffff
for this IE bug.

The parser says there is an important change going on on hover. I can
imagine this once was meant as a sort of code optimization, but who
knows. But, as a consequence, if there is no change on hover, IE tends
to forget descendant selectors (descendent dutys).

Anyway, if your menu relies on the switch from white to #fff, or #fff to
#ffffff, or #ffffff to white, fine, but you better add a declaration
that looks more like a hack, i.e.

a:hover{
   background-position: 0 0; /* IE hack, see IE pure CSS popups bug */
  }

Even switching from white to #fff on hover is a hack in any case. Since
you cannot avoid hacking IE, you better document the hack, or put it
into conditional comments. Otherwise, those silent hack constructions
break without further notice if another person "optimizes" your code.

Ingo

--
http://www.satzansatz.de/css.html