Personally, I tried once method 2 and lately had to repent for it,
because I kept going forward and backward in the file to change the
rules or to find a mistake etc.
I'm not an expert web developer, but recently I approached another
method involving more files. I prefer to have a basic file for rules
common to all pages in my site, then a second (or more) file in each
page, to declare page specific rules, that don't involve other pages.
I agree with David that everybody has a different way to organize his
things, and the only way to make it easy is to explain with comments and
other documentation your choice and instructions on how to manage your
"creation".

Emanuele