CSS-d,

I have some text which is inside a <span> tag that has the following CSS
specifications:

.footer-text-right {
    height:inherit;
    float: right;
    margin:0px 50px 0px 0px;
    padding: 0px 0px 0px 12px;
    background-image:url(footerbreak.png) no-repeat;
    background-position: left;
}

The image "footerbreak.png" is a 1 pixel wide image that is intended to
appear as a border on the left side of the text.

If I make background-image have a setting of "repeat", then the one
pixel image repeats across the length of the span, as I would expect it to.

However, with the settings above, with background-image set to
"no-repeat", and background-position set to "left", the background image
disappears completely.

Am I missing a necessary setting? Or perhaps I'm confused about the
nature of background images within <span> tags?

How do I get the background image to appear once, on the left side, of
my <span>?

Thank you for any advice.

--
Dave M G