On Jul 25, 2007, at 4:42 AM, Parag Jagdale wrote:

>  am having problems with tables that are too wide for a browser
> window.
> The client has existing html code that they cannot change in the
> near future
> and so I have to work with whats already there,
> and whats there is very very ugly.
>
> Here is the example: http://www.un-identified.com/ipa/example.html
>
> The containing div doesnt wrap around the whole table in both FF2
> and IE7.

IE 6 is saved by its own stupidity here.
Other browsers do what the specs say, and in this case it has an
unfortunately side effect...

I suppose you want the both the blue band and the white box
containing the table to extend to the right when the table is very
large.
A solution could be: wrap the whole page (including the footer,
depending on the styling you want there) in a div, and float that div
(div {float:left}). Do _not_ set a width on that div. But you might
need to set a min-width:100% to make sure it fills the viewport when
there is little content (avoiding shrink-wrapping).

(warning: untested, but should work well in most modern browsers.
please report back :-))

Philippe
---
Philippe Wittenbergh