> Can anyone tell me why there's a padding / margin of approx. 13 pixels at
> the top of http://www.loubradley.com/new/aboutlou.htm

Sorry if you already got a reply/answer to this.

Looks like margin collapse.

Add a 1px border to #main, and, I see, it fixed in FF/Mac.

I ran into this problem the other day. Very annoying.

You could give the border a color that suits your design... or 1px of
padding will also do it.

Another solution, that has worked for me, is to put your main content in a
floated div... Google for margin collapse.

Margin collapse... It really seems strange that it happens in this
situation, but I was told that:

[[margins going outside the parent element is correct behavior. It's
called "margin collapsing".]]

Hth's,
Cheers,
Micky