I don't have safari to test on but konqueror 3.5.5 has the same
problem until you remove position: relative from the #outer rule.
Fortunately the only effect that seems to have in firefox is to
lengthen the relative height of both #inner and its contents which is
reasonably accounted for by adjusting #inner's height.

Your original link seems to have done basically that since it looks
the same in firefox and konqueror to me.

I've seen complaints about position: relative in safari before but
this is quite a dramatic failure since the majority of the remaining
css is completely ignored (although strangely some of it is still
being used).

Rob